Monday, October 10, 2011

Another day, another issue - with Update

I've been hoping this would all stop and go away, but it just hasn't. It seems like my body is just conspiring against me in every human way possible and it's getting very old very quick.

On Saturday I woke up just not feeling well. Very achy and with a pretty bad headache. Couldn't kick any of it at all that day. Saturday night, about 6pm, the contractions started. They were really bad. Painful and they got down to every 2 minutes. It went on and on for hours until I could take my pill at 8. The pill calmed them down, but they didn't stop.

Sunday - contractions all day. Headache and body aches. Severe contractions in the evening. No sleep night #2.

Today - called the doctor to let her know what's going on. We're over 36 hours of nonstop contractions now and the medicine makes them back off but not stop. I still have a serious headache. Strangely enough, the contractions back off a bit in the morning and afternoon - typically to around one every ten minutes or so and they are more pressure than pain. However, once the evening hits they come on full force and become painful, strong, and frequent.

I'm waiting to hear back from the doctor. Brian thinks they need to switch my medicine, but the other one is the one that is so dangerous and that the FDA issued warnings about in February, so I really won't feel good if we switch to that. I'm also terrified that one of these visits is going to be the one that sends me back to the hospital. How much will she let me deal with on my own at home before I end up on constant hospital monitoring? That would be an absolute nightmare and the worst thing I can imagine.

Keep your fingers crossed for me. I'll update when I know more.


The doctor's office just called and the nurse said that if, at present, I'm *only* contracting a few times an hour, there's no reason to come in or be seen. Didn't seem overly concerned about the fact that we are now at almost 48 hours of constant contractions. Said if tonight it becomes bad again and they're regular and 3 min. apart, we need to head back to L&D. This is extremely frustrating on many levels. 1) Each trip to L&D ends up getting me admitted which costs us $300. This is starting to get very pricey. 2) I'm sick of going there and trying to sleep in those uncomfortable beds or to just sit there and wait. It's uncomfortable and horrible. 3) I just can't face those nurses again. It's been three times already and I know them all by now. I just can't do it.

Those may sound like petty or silly reasons not to go, but you have no idea how frustrating it is. To have them look at the computer and see that I was just there and to have to go through ALL of the medical history questions, yet again, and explain the symptoms, yet again. And to sit there in an L&D room when I know that I'm not going to have a baby. I'm just taking up space for issues that they can't explain or fix.

I'm sorry. I'm in pain, I haven't slept in two days, and I don't know when this is going to stop or what this all means. I am pretty much at the end of my emotional rope here and I just can't handle it all anymore. I need my doctor to fix this or tell me how to stop it or when we can end it and she just can't do that. Frustrated isn't a strong enough word right now for what I'm feeling.


  1. Quite the roller coaster ride you're on right now. Hoping you can make it a little longer and finish this pregnancy at a really high point!

  2. I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time... But your baby is almost full-term - unlike a few weeks ago when these contractions started... I am assuming this is a comfort? That baby is strong enough if it gets born now?

    I know I am being presumptuous and that I have no idea what it's like - but I am trying to find some bright side... Hang in there!

  3. I appreciate you trying to help me find the bright side. I try to do that as much as I can, but sometimes it's hard. Yes, the doctor said today that we're "safe-ish," so we have done a good job of keeping her where she needs to be. The overwhelming part is the idea that since the contractions aren't causing change in the cervix, there could be another six weeks of this kind of pain while we wait for our scheduled surgery (and six weeks of bed rest with that). That's a hard prospect to face. Above all, I want her to be safe and healthy, but I really just want to get her out at this point and be done with it all.

  4. I'm thinking about you! Your last blog post was so positive! Keep thinking that way. Sending positive thoughts your way...