Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Doctor's Appointment

So - long story short, we don't know what it is.

Thankfully, the cervix is long and closed, so as active as these buggers are (contractions), at least they are not causing any active labor yet. That's the really good news. On the other hand, we don't know if they will or what is causing them.

I sat with monitors on for about half an hour and didn't have any activity. I understand they're trying to see what's going on, but I could have told them there was no activity. The past two days all the activity has been in the evenings...but...well, oh well. They did a physical exam and everything checked out ok (except for the MONSTER bruise on my stomach from the fetal monitors at the hospital).

So, now I get to travel with pills at all times. Should the need arise, I need to take one to try to stop the contractions. With luck, these will do the trick and we won't go back to the hospital for a long time (at least eight weeks). I even managed to get a less scary medication than they had suggested. The one I was given at the hospital (and the one they were going to give me) has really really bad warnings on it. Now, it's the most common medication for preterm labor and they use it all the time, but, me being me, had to know a bit more. Imagine my surprise on Sunday night when I looked it up on the government website and the first thing I see is a huge yellow Warning box saying that it should never be used for treatment of preterm labor due to infant and mother morbidity and mortality. I understand that delivering early is a big problem we want to avoid, but warnings like that make me a bit too nervous.

Obviously, I have to learn to stay off the internet and trust my doctor, but when I mentioned I was a bit concerned about that one she just said, "No problem" and gave me something else (which, according to my searches has the fewest problems but makes you feel like crap if you have to take it). Win one and lose one, I guess :)

In the meantime, I will continue to drink several liters of water a day and stay off my feet as much as possible. Katie is going to visit her grandparents from Thursday until Sunday, so there will be a LOT of downtime this week. Hopefully it's all good.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad that all is well now. Poor you, had to go through all this uncertainty and pain... I hope it was BH contractions and they won't be back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that things continue to go well and that you don't need to use that medicine.

    ReplyDelete