Monday, March 14, 2011

Holy Crap!

That has been my thought most of the night - except for those times that I have literally been quaking with fear. Now, most would call this an overreaction; I, for one, would do so; however, I have never had this strong of a reaction to a book ever.

Katie has been sick and I was so darn worn out after watching her all night and day. Brian told me to go out and do something when he got home, so I went to get a pedicure. It was lovely, and I decided to take my Kindle with me because I had loaded the new Jodi Picoult book onto it and hadn't started reading it yet. Knowing my fascination for her books and topics, I knew that once I started reading, I wouldn't be able to put it down, so I waited for break.

Imagine my surprise...shock...terror...when the first chapter reveals to me a woman who is suffering through round after round after round of miscarriages only to make it to her 28th week. At that point, she miscarries due to a condition that is almost identical to my own. It freaked me out. I don't typically have strong visceral reactions like that to fiction, but this one really shook me.

In any case, I rushed home and held my family for a long long time. I don't think I'll be finishing that particular book.

1 comment: